Friday, July 10, 2015

Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15) by Jim Butcher


Only a sample of this book was included in the voter’s package. This nominee is the 15th in a series I hadn’t even heard before, but it is apparently pretty popular. The book got its’ nomination through the puppy lists. I read the sample, and if I would have been very impressed I might have bought the book. The sample was ok, and I got something about it, but being totally unfamiliar with the backstory and the characters, I didn’t really get into it. And I am reluctant to give money to a puppy favorite if there isn’t a compelling reason to do so, so I am not going to buy this book and finish it. The genre of the book is urban fantasy – something I am not familiar with at all (or have much interest). The hero is some kind of super powerful warlock / private detective. He has some sort of supernatural parasite inside his head, and he must perform a task which might be too much even for his powers. But he gets help for a few sexy women, who have magical powers themselves. The beginning felt extremely pulpy and straightforward with a hero who is throwing away cute quips and ogling beautiful ladies. Fun and stupid, but certainly not impressive. This wouldn’t be a Hugo worthy book even if it weren’t the 15th part of the series, which disqualifies it anyway in my opinion.

86 pp (the sample included in the Hugo package)

No comments: