Tuesday, December 26, 2017

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens



An old classic, which I hadn’t read before. I am familiar with it from several TV productions. Is there any long running TV series which hasn’t had an episode modelled on this story? The basic story is probably familiar to everyone: the stingy and sour businessman, Ebenezer Scrooge, is visited by three ghosts during Christmas Eve and naturally abandons his selfish ways. The book was read for the book club as appropriate Christmastime reading. I read the book in English, as the freely available Finnish translation felt pretty archaic. The book was written in quaint, wonderful old language, but was pretty easy to read at the same time. I read a fair amount of Dickens in my teens, and if I had time I probably should re-read some of the classics. As a whole, very interesting (on many levels – from the language, historic and basic knowledge points of view) read, which suited the season well.

93 pp.

No comments: