Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Digger by Ursula Vernon


A dauntingly thick graphic novel. I got this as a part of the Hugo voter’s package. I usually haven’t read (at least all nominees) of this category. I first just glanced at this: 700+ pages (!) and a drawing style which at the first glance didn’t really seem like my cup of tea. Later when I found more than a few very praising reviews I decided to take a second look. After a few pages I was hooked. A wonderful tale of a very matter of fact and humanistic wombat who finds himself far from home. He befriends several eccentric characters and must partake a quest involving gods and demons. As he isn’t especially religious he tends a have a polite detachment towards various supernatural beings. A fun and entertaining story which is only very slightly overlong. It had some very nice dry humor and more than a few very thought provoking and interesting considerations. This got my vote in the Hugo voting – the only vote I cast in the category. All the other nominees were umpteenth parts of continuing series which didn’t really work as itself.

No comments: