Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #2) by Tamsyn Muir


 DNF.

I enjoyed the first part of the series, especially due to the snarky main character with a huge dose of self-irony. As she (at least) mostly died at the end of the first part she isn’t exactly in this book, and the faults (confusing narrative technique and world-building which left everything mainly on allusion) were even more heavily used here. The structure of the book is extremely complicated. There are several timelines going on at the same time, some of the chapters use second-person narrative and some of them use third-person narrative, all that combined with an apparently unreliable narrator who herself is very confused, and all that written with a very complex and heavy-handed style with a mix of some extremely surreal scenes. After 25% of the book, I was still very confused about what was going on. Apparently, there was some sort of danger which was created by magical science and which threatens everything and which must be prevented, while there were very disjointed flashbacks to the events of the first book or something, I am not very sure. I don't very much care. I am probably far too stupid for this book and I will continue the Nobel award worth book by Kazuo Ishiguro which I was reading as ”light filler” while reading this one. At least I know what is going on in that one and it is far easier and more enjoyable to read. 


No comments: